Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Rest in the Lord......" from Psalm 37

Cough, cough, sputter, sputter......As Winnie the Pooh would say: "Oh bother!" How annoying to have a cold. The dripping nose, the sneezing spells, the headache and scratchy throat - and now the cough. Oh bother. Yet I am thankful it is not the flu that has taken me to my robe, slippers and recliner. Since I have asthma, I have to be a little more careful with pesky ole colds, but they generally come and run their course and I can put the Kleenex boxes away. The good thing is that I have learned to rest and drink hot teas and lemonades and read til a nap claims me. That is now that I am a grandma. When I was a young mother, I had to keep on going. I remember there just wasn't time for resting and taking it easy when there were 3 little ones and a busy hub (he doesn't like the name "hubby" because it rhymes with chubby and that is so humiliating). And then there were the days of working when I just couldn't miss work without causing someone else a burden. But these days it is perfectly legal for me to rest and recoup and I'm thankful for this phase of my life. It is a privilege to be able to say: "I feel like drifting off to sleep after I finish this chapter...." (And I think God understands that I'm staying home from Church today and keeping my germs to myself.)

3 comments:

Mar said...

Just in case you read this, Louise, I am hoping to be totally 100% by tomorrow and will Lysol down the place so it will be safe for you and David tomorrow night. : )

Mrs. Kermit the Frog said...

Marlene, I look forward to the days when it will be "perfectly legal for me to rest and recoup"! It's pretty sad when it takes a cold to give us an excuse to take it easy! I hope you feel better soon. Call me if you need anything... i.e.: chicken noodle soup. I hope to see you soon! Take care and take an extra nap for me!
Valerie (Don't ask about my blog I.D.)

Mar said...

Oh Valerie, how cute! And thanks but I wont bother you for that delicious chicken soup this time. Im about over this mess. But soon and very soon we must do the ES and HC at M's....yeah gotta do it.